With over forty years’ experience in the music industry, Steve Lewis Services offers in-depth knowledge and expertise as well as a raft of international contacts, to clients and partners who require:
- Strategic planning and advice for media businesses
- Guidance on media banking, corporate finance as well as private equity contacts and specialist know-how.
- Non-Executive Director in media-related businesses
- Advice and assistance in all aspects of music management from structuring and negotiating publishing and recording contracts, through to production, artist management, agreements, etc.
- High level project management
- Supervision of all music-related litigation
- An expert witness; experienced in assisting and instructing solicitors, writing detailed reports and testifying in court.
I’ve made my living doing something I love for more than forty years. I’ve seen the music industry change from a business populated almost exclusively by unschooled enthusiasts to one which employs “professionals” from other industries and has established its own school to educate the next generation of artists, songwriters and business leaders. Outside investors, banks and private equity funds employ media specialists and have made significant investments in music. The industry has become thoroughly professional.
I’ve witnessed and participated in numerous game changing developments. The move from a singles market in the 50s and early 60s to an album market by the late 60s. From vinyl to cassette and eight track cartridge, to CD to mp3 downloads, filesharing and recently, recovery and renewed growth from streaming
Having held senior positions, including sitting on the boards of most industry trade bodies, I’ve taken part in and worked through all the stages of the development of the modern music industry. My partners and I sold Stage Three Music, our successful music publishing company, in 2010.
I’ve since taken on various non executive directorships and advisory roles, putting to good use my varied experience, which ranges from start ups (as Virgin was when I met Nik and Richard) to Stock Exchange quoted companies (as Chrysalis Group was when I joined the board) and private equity backed companies, as was Stage Three Music. My relationships with media bankers, private equity executives, corporate finance boutiques and other media finance executives are put to use extensively to the benefit of my clients.
My experience and contacts enable me to help companies and individuals navigate the complex and challenging terrain of the modern music industry.